MUST SUBMIT COMPLETED APPLICATION, COVER LETTER, RESUME AND PORTFOLIO SAMPLES. Please follow the specifics outlined in the APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS below. Incomplete submissions will not be accepted.
1. Enter your information on the right of the screen to include days you're available and why you're interested in working for us.
2. Download and complete the BMHS Job Application. Save completed application, cover letter, resume and 2-3 portfolio samples of marketing materials as one file. (Separate files will not be accepted)
3. Click on the "Upload Resume" button on the right of the screen and upload your documents. Click "APPLY" button to submit.
4. If you're having trouble uploading your information, please click on, "Don't have one?" copy and paste your information into the text box and click "APPLY" button to submit.
5. No phone calls, please.
EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY ANNOUNCEMENT
EFFECTIVE DATE: April 28, 2020 DEADLINE: Until filled, first review on May 8, 2020
TITLE: Communications Coordinator EFFECTIVE DATE: April 28, 2020
STATUS: Full-time, 40 hours per week, Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. or 9 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
SALARY: $14.00 - $16.00, Hourly
JOB SUMMARY: To provide daily communication and marketing support for Blue Mountain Humane Society. The Communications Coordinator develops and maintains internal and external communication opportunities and strategies. The Communications Coordinator will work as part of a team of staff and volunteers.
This position is supervised by: Director of Development
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB INCLUDE:
· Treat all animals both on and off the job humanely. You are a representative of the BMHS even when you are not at work.
· Identify and create Social Media content for Blue Mountain Humane Society’s Instagram & Facebook. Including original pictures, copy, graphics, digital media and design. Serves as lead for replying to comments and messages on social media. Create a Social Media strategy. Works with Staff, Work Study students and volunteers as applicable.
· Assist Director of Development in developing and managing a Marketing Plan for Blue Mountain Humane Society. Includes design and upkeep of advertisements, mailings, design and upkeep of pamphlets and flyers and other marketing materials using Adobe Photoshop, InDesign and/or PicMonkey.com. Works with Staff, Work Study students and volunteers as applicable.
· Manages BMHS brand and fields media inquiries as assigned by the Executive Director and/or the Director of Development.
· Supports Executive Director and Director of Development in preparing and disseminating crisis communication as required.
· Develop policies concerning organizational communication, including emergency preparedness communication, social media usage & best practices and internal communications with Board and staff members.
· Develop strategies that help promote and support BMHS events and efforts, including creation of posters/flyers, invitations and registration websites. Also includes creating events, event banners, digital media, graphics and posts for Social Media. Works with Staff, Work Study students and volunteers as applicable.
· Redesigns and monitors Blue Mountain Humane Society’s website through the web-design platform, Word Press. Includes updating and creating content and images, as well as a quarterly comprehensive review of content, images and links. Works with Staff, Work Study students and volunteers as applicable.
· Creates and distributes weekly and monthly BMHS e-newsletter with adoption stories, photos, upcoming events and other related topics using Constant Contact. Works with Staff, Work Study students and volunteers as applicable.
· Manages Constant Contact account for Blue Mountain Humane Society. Includes creating event and participant emails, advertisement and after event mass emails, as well as importing and maintaining Constant Contact email lists. Works with Staff, Work Study students and volunteers as applicable.
· Creates mass mailing lists from PetPoint database for newsletters and other mailings. Includes creation of memorials and in honor of listings for Paw Prints Newsletter and maintains Do Not Contact/Mail lists. Works with Staff, Work Study students and volunteers as applicable.
· Serves as lead contact for selecting adoptable pet and creating story for Pet of the Week to the Union Bulletin newspaper.
· Manages weekly updating of Front Desk Slideshow. Coordinates and works with Work Study students, when applicable.
· Responsible for maintaining an open/positive atmosphere of communication with the public.
· Serves as lead contact for photography at events. Coordinates and works with Work Study students and volunteers, when applicable.
· Available as needed for events, including event planning and implementation as directed by the Director of Development.
· Represent the Blue Mountain Humane Society at community events and functions.
· Give tours as needed, presenting information about BMHS programs & services, also providing other information regarding organization and shelter facility.
OTHER DUTIES / FUNCTIONS:
· Serve as a role model and leader for volunteers at BMHS.
· Responsive to spontaneous public inquiries and formal requested speaking engagements as directed.
· Provides back-up phone support as needed.
· Must be committed to a proactive stance on public awareness and education about Animal Welfare and the BMHS mission.
· Must maintain appearance and demeanor that is consistent with the image of the BMHS.
o Must be detail oriented, accurate, and dependable.
o Excellent writing and communication skills.
o Knowledge of marketing principles.
o Able to manage demands, prioritize, and follow through for timely completion.
o Must be able to anticipate the communication needs of the organization.
o Must be comfortable with communicating clearly and succinctly.
o Must have experience working with basic office equipment (multi-line phone, copy/fax machine, mail machine and various printers) Microsoft Office products and have knowledge of PCs.
o Must maintain a high level of confidentiality and have a tactful, mature, and sincere attitude.
o Excellent interpersonal skills.
o Must be able to use a digital camera and photo-editing software, such as Adobe Photoshop and/or PicMonkey.com.
o Experience with WordPress and website maintenance.
o Experience in creating digital media using iPads or other tablets, video cameras and editing content using iMovie or other non-linear video editing system.
o Desire for learning and mastery regarding presently required job skills as well as to enlarge the scope and professionalism of this position.
o Experience with PicMonkey.com or Adobe Photoshop and/or InDesign.
o Active listening and crisis intervention experience is a plus.
· Education / Training
o College degree preferred, PR/Communications/Marketing major.
o Must be a High School graduate or G.E.D. and be able to read, write, and speak clearly in English so that written and verbal instructions can be followed.
· Indoors in air conditioned/heated office, outdoors at shelter or on-location for various activities.
· Includes the use of a desktop computer, tablets, various printers, copy/fax machine, mail machine, and multiple line telephone.
· Weekday hours with some weekend hours pending training schedule and outside shelter events.
· Regular exposure to a variety of companion animals, pocket pets and some exotic animals.
MENTAL, PHYSICAL AND COMMUNICATION DEMANDS:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· Requires working alone or with others at the shelter.
· Requires a strong attention to detail and the commitment to make sure that the finished product is error free.
· Requires the ability to sit for long periods of time while doing repetitive, clerical tasks.
· Requires speaking and writing effectively and clearly in a professional manner.
· Requires clear verbal communication over the telephone and intercom to internal individuals.
· Requires treating people and animals in a pleasant, courteous, and professional manner.
· Requires ability to work in a team environment and to provide team leadership.
· May require patience and tact when working with difficult, emotional or angry people.
· Requires ability to lift a minimum of 50 lbs.
This position description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees shall be required to follow any other job related duties required by their supervisor. This document does not create an employment contract implied or otherwise, other than an “at-will” relationship.